users@glassfish.java.net

Rendering speed problem with Woodstock using IE7

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:07:33 PDT

I am sitting here with clumps of hair in my hand. Someone please help before I end up completely bald!

I have a fairly simple VW JSF Glassfish app which uses Woodstock components. While some of the pages render at an acceptable speed (under 2 seconds), several pages take anything between 4-10 secs to load.

Testing in other browsers I found that FF2 and Safari rendered the same pages virtually instantly! FF3 has some different (and well documented) problems with the rendering, but nothing to do with speed (that is when it renders it renders fast).

I have scanned the release notes for Woodstock 4.2 for performance improvements, installed the latest 4.2 release (4.3 Build 7) and tried the suggested tweaks. This gave me an improvement of about a second, which doesn't really make even a dent in the problem.

I have also investigated IE7 tuning (not that I feel this an appropriate solution). Having made tweaks to increase connections, prevent RSS feed detection, suppress Phishing filter, suppress network printer/resource checking, etc, I found again that this had hardly any impact on the rendering speed of my ‘slow’ pages.

I would appreciate anybody sharing similar experiences with me or being able to offer up any suggestions.

Regards
Nick
[Message sent by forum member 'nickbeare' (nickbeare)]