users@glassfish.java.net

Re: stop-node-agent is stopping instance as well

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:36:49 PDT

> Right, this is by design. Stopping node-agent should
> be an uncommon activity and doing it will take the
> instances down by default. There have been feature
> requests for us to do the otherwise, but I have to
> hear a strong case for it. Is it that you want to
> conserve the resources?
>
> Thanks,
> Kedar

I have come across a situation -- bizarre -- but it is true: There is a development environment with a singleT2000 without any zones.. everything is on the global zone; There are 30 Server instances running which are 'allocated' (ports) for a group of developers so each can his own server(s) to test.. Sometimes each developer has his own domain and node agent but not always - someone can just shut off a node agent for whatever reason.. or no reason even :) and affect many others.. It's an extreme example I guess. Also, 2) developers are enamored by the control over the server that asadmin and the console make possible - especially in small companies where they have the freedom to do what they want.. You can imagine how chaotic it can get..and 3) I have also seen that 'admins' are in many cases system and network admins, and they may not have full knowledge of what they are doing .. but of course they think they do..

I guess none of these is a 'compelling' reason by any means. But, some food for thought maybe..
[Message sent by forum member 'chilak' (chilak)]