users@glassfish.java.net

Number of requests per second taken care by glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:54:16 PDT

Hi,

I've setup a glassfish server and deployed an application. When one of the
tester is helping me on testing it, he observed that when he is sending 3
requests per second for about 10 times, the server hangs. Each request
takes about 4 to 5 seconds to respond.

While some background processes run during the hang, but the web pages fail
to respond.

After I changed the settings in domain.xml like increasing the acceptor-threads,
keep-alive settings etc, that problem is gone and test was successful until 4
requests per second for 10 times. However, if 5 requests per second is
requested for 10 times, the problem repeats.

When I continued increasing the above settings, 5 rps for 10 times worked fine,
but 6rps for 10 times started failing with "Too many open files" error. The ulimit
for the root user is unlimited, the file-max setting on linux machine is increased
to 655350, but still I get the same error!

The error is typically coming, I guess is, because there are too many open
connections. When I do a netstat -na | grep 8080 | wc -l, I get about 183 by
the time I receive the "Too many open files".

Is there anything I could do about this?
Kindly advice.

Kind Regards,
Sanjeev
[Message sent by forum member 'sanjeev_any' (sanjeev_any)]