users@glassfish.java.net

Re: DAS machine is single point of failure for entire clustered instances?

From: Gopal Jorapur <Gopal.Jorapur_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:43:19 -0700

Hi,

I addition to Kedar's explaination, If HA is required for DAS, it can
be achieved in following two ways

(snippet from Nazrul's blog
<http://blogs.sun.com/nazrul/entry/under_the_hood_of_glassfish>)

/DAS/ has no role in application runtime functionality. So, when /DAS/
is un-available, the cluster will continue to run. You may use /%asadmin
backup-domain
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-4736/6n6s9pj18?a=view>/ command to
create a backup of /DAS/. After that, please backup the zip from
/backup-domain/ command in a highly available storage. When /if /DAS/'s
machine crashes, you may use /%asadmin restore-domain
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-4736/6n6s9pj7k?a=view>/ command
with the previously backed-up zip to restore the domain in another
machine. During /DAS/'s startup, it will ping all the /node agents/ to
notify the new co-ordinates of /DAS/. Solaris [Sun] Cluster
<http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/cluster/index.xml> has support for
Sun Java System Application Server
<http://www.sun.com/software/products/appsrvr/index.xml>. You may use it
to provide automatic failover. Refer to this documentation
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-7000/6mmbndqgp?a=view> for more
details.

Thanks,
Gopal*