users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish starts, binds to ports but does not respond

From: Chris Fleischmann <Chris.Fleischmann_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:01:34 +1000

Thanks for sending the file through, it seems all of your http and https
threads are waiting on locks
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.LinkedListPipeline for HTTP
and com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ssl.SSLPipeline for HTTPS
which looks like there waiting on other threads to finish.

I wonder if after time you are running out of file descriptors. I see
from the source code
(http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/glassfish/appserv-http-engine/src/java/com/sun/enterprise/web/connector/grizzly/LinkedListPipeline.java?r=1.25)
for GlassFish the following in relation to the "waiting" threads, in
particular line 291:

288 if (size() - waitingThreads <= 0) {
289 try {
290 waitingThreads++;
291 wait();

Showing that there are more waiting threads than there are available
threads.

When hanging are you able to also run the following commands for me;

lsof -p <PID>

as root : ulimit -a

and

strace -Ff -tt -p <PID> 2>&1 | tee <PID>.log

Cheers,

Chris