users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ApplicationClientContainer logging?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 07:50:51 PDT

> You're correct that the logging config for the app
> client container - and therefore the app clients that
> run within it - comes from the sun-acc.xml for
> clients started with the appclient command. For
> clients launched using Java Web Start the default
> logging config is used. I've been looking at ways of
> having Java Web Start launches use the sun-acc.xml
> settings as well.

Thanks as always for the info.

> Have you tried programmatically creating your own
> logger and setting its value from the client logic?

I have not; that almost undoubtedly will work--I've been through the source code as well, and it seems that the only unusual bit of behavior as far as logging is concerned in the ACC is with setup, not subsequent processing.

The only RFE I would file would go like this:

In the Glassfish admin console, you can add arbitrary properties to the logging section. It just so happens that these properties are interpreted as logging levels. So if you add the foo.bar.biz.level property with a value of FINE, then you set the logging level for that Logger.

I've noticed that you're permitted to do the same thing under the relevant XML element in the sun-acc.xml file, but I'm not sure what properties are legal there. I don't think however that they are interpreted as log levels. If they were, then you would have a conceptually similar way of setting logging levels as you do with the admin console.

Thanks,
Laird
[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson' (ljnelson)]