users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setup of Glassfish Email to use remote server and Port

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:40:33 PST

Changing the property names to dash- delimited strings did the trick -- at least as far as getting the server to pay attention to my port setting.

I am having other failures now, but at least Glassfish is now going to the correct server and port. I suspect the other problems involve the fact that it is requiring an SSL connection and that it is going to an Exchange server. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that there are any transport classes that enable us to send Javamail through an Exchange 2007 server.

As for the fix, frankly, I agree with you and the others: requiring a hyphen in a "Javamail" property name is ridiculous. It serves no useful purpose and, in my case, caused a great deal of unnecessary confusion.

Actually, as I suggested in my bug report (which I will be removing since it really isn't a bug) the requirement for a seperate set of Javamail "custom properties" makes even less sense. Isn't the purpose of this resource to create sessions that are used to send messages using Javamail??? Why don't you folks simply make the so- called "Javamail" properties (like port number, whether or not authentication is used, etc) standard properties of the Javamail Resource??? Let them have defaults the same way that your Store Protocol class, your Transport Protocol, and your Transport protocol class does, but make them standard like your Mail Host, Default User, and Transport Protocol properties.

 It is totally illogical to force people to use special "custom" Javamail properties -- entered in a format not like "regular" Javamail properties -- in order to properly set up sessions that are going to be used with Javamail! I could almost understand if such resources were going to be used with something other than Javamail, but these are *JavaMail Session* resources! Why don't you just cover all the properties associated with Javamail on the page??? Doing so isn't just a nice idea; it is half- decent user- interface design!

Ah, well: I will now get off my soapbox and get back to work. Thanks for your assistance...
[Message sent by forum member 'factor3' (factor3)]