users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish JavaMail Session and SMTP Authentication

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:46:02 PST

As I said in my original post, when I use the same GlassFish JNDI JavaMail Session in a self-written application, and if I then set the username and password for SMTP authentication explicitly from within the application, mail can successfully be sent. So there is no fundamental problem with the MTA.

But Roller does not do the same explicit SMTP authentication if it gets the JavaMail session via JDNI. It expects the container to set up the javax.mail.Session already authenticated with the SMTP server. And that would only work with GlassFish if GlassFish honors additional properties in the JavaMail session for SMTP authentication (mail.smtp.auth, mail.smtp.user, mail.smtp.password), and uses it to authenticate the Session with the SMTP server before passing the Session object to the application.

The question is, is Apache Roller right in expecting this and is there a problem in GlassFish if it doesn't use the mail.smtp.* properties to authenticate the mail session, or is Apache Roller wrong in expecting this?

Thanks
Stephan
[Message sent by forum member 'smuehlst' (smuehlst)]