users@glassfish.java.net

Is there any way LimpidLog can support Glassfish?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:30:16 PST

Hi,

I am trying make LimpidLog to support Glassfish. LimpidLog is a revolutionary logging which does not require any hard-coded log statement (http://www.acelet.org). It is an open source program with GPL license.

LimpidLog uses -javaagent option to start JVM:
   java -javaagent:c:\a\a\limpidlog\build\limpidlog.jar .....

But the following issues prevent me from support Glassfish:

1. Glassfish kills all threads which are not Glassfish's native (I hope I am wrong).

A class in limpidlog.jar starts a thread to open a ServerSocket, so a manager client can communicate to it, so it can be dynamically configured. The port did open, but later, the thread was killed by Glassfish.

2. Glassfish hides classes which are loaded by the bootstrap-class-loader (I hope I am wrong).
The other way to communicate is to use a manager servlet. Servlet can call LimpidLog classes which are loaded by the bootstrap-class-loader (from -javaagent option). The classes in limpidlog.jar are loaded (some information is printed out). Now, I want access one of the class in limpidlog.jar. I get an error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: limpidlog/agent/LimpidTransformer
This is not a security violation error. The class simply can not be "seen" by servlet.

These are two ways to communicate. Is there a third way to make the communication?

Glassfish now has a small market share. But Glassfish is a good server and has good future. A few years ago there was a browser war between Microsoft's InternetExporer and Netscape. Everyone (including me) said the war was won by IE. But now, Firefox (former Netscape) is strong (I use it). There is a space for Glassfish.

LimpidLog works well for Jboss, Tomcat and Weblogic. I would like to support Glassfish. Is there any way I can do it?

Thanks for your attention.
[Message sent by forum member 'weijiang' (weijiang)]