users@glassfish.java.net

Network error handling on remote calls

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:40:48 PST

Hello,

let's suppose this scenario: Glassfish server, remote client using glassfish libraries for application client and some EJBs implementing transactions (at server level) reaching a database.

The client makes a call to a remote interface of an EJB, the transaction succeeds in the database but, in the meanwhile, the network crashes and the client never gets the answer. The client keeds retrying and, when the network is up again, fires the transaction again...

The problem I'm facing is that I don't find any docs on that, how this is handled by Glassfish. Is that behaviour true? Is that what really happens? What is the correct way to face this? Should I program the EJBs in a "retry-aware" way?

The best way I can think of to prevent this is intercept all the communications between client and server and implement a retry policy myself. What classes should I modify/subclass to do that?

Thank you.
[Message sent by forum member 'afmarsal' (afmarsal)]