users@glassfish.java.net

Re: HTTP Listeners and Virtual Servers

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:54:54 PST

Jeanfrancois is referring to the limitation mentioned at http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?trange=15&threadID=492628&forumID=136&tstart=0
("Help with J2EE SDK 1.4 Virtual Servers please!"), which, at the time, i summarized as follows:

In our current implementation, the lists of http-listeners associated with virtual-server elements must be mutually exclusive, because the primary differentiator for a virtual-server are the unique port numbers associated with it.

Internally, we represent each virtual-server as a Tomcat "Engine", and associate Tomcat HTTP connectors corresponding to the virtual-server's http-listeners with it.

If you associate the same http-listener with more than one virtual-server, we create two Tomcat HTTP connectors (one for each Tomcat "Engine") that try to listen on the same port. When you start the appserver, the first Tomcat HTTP connector will start just fine, but the second will fail to start and raise a java.net.BindException ("Address already in use").

Notice that this limitation applied to AS 8.0, and was fixed in AS 8.1 and all later releases.
[Message sent by forum member 'jluehe' (jluehe)]