users@glassfish.java.net

Re: remote EJB best practices

From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer_at_weycogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:36:08 -0600

Markus KARG wrote:
> Maybe you can be a bit more specific with your question. What
> actually do you like to know?

I'm thinking about the classic example of an e-commerce site with a
web-facing storefront and a separate customer service interface. Is it
feasible to write the customer service interface as a Swing app that
calls the EJBs? We're also concerned that we won't be able to do SQL
"quick fixes" directly against the database because of JPA holding
records, so the question of being able to write one-off programs without
restarting the app has come up. Part of an appclient has to be deployed
to the server along with the enterprise app, doesn't it?

> Do you already know about the Java EE 5 architecture in general, and
> client containers in particular?

We're fairly new to EJBs and GlassFish. We've used Struts and Spring
before (with Tomcat).

> Glenn Holmer schrieb:
>> What's the best way to write a standalone app that accesses EJBs in
>> a running enterprise app on a different machine?

Glenn Holmer                          gholmer_at_weycogroup.com
Software Engineer                        phone: 414-908-1809
Weyco Group, Inc.                          fax: 414-908-1601