users@glassfish.java.net

Fast Failover with Shoal/JXTA

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:26:25 PST

Hi there.

I have been playing with Shoal this week and I’m finding it a really easy pick up and run with.

I have a specific problem I would like to solve, and that is lightning fast failover detection (around 100ms - less would be better) for reliable Leader Election. I’ve looked at the Shoal code and found that I can pass in some properties via GMSFactory.startGMSModule The properties I’ve found that are relevant are:

(JxtaConfigConstants): FAILURE_DETECTION_TIMEOUT, FAILURE_DETECTION_RETRIES and FAILUIRE_VERIFICATION_TIMEOUT.

I’ve tried setting the values to low amounts, without sufficient success. I have noticed that the HealhMonitor skews the failure detection timeout by adding 500ms (in the FailureVerifier private inner class of HealthMonitor).

When running a test app, I can’t seem to get failover to occur within less than about three seconds. Am I doing something wrong, or am I simply trying to push Shoal/Jxta too much?

Thanks for your attention 
Gary Fry
[Message sent by forum member 'garyfry' (garyfry)]