users@glassfish.java.net

Connection vs Session Pooling

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:36:51 PST

Suppose I have a web application, expecting a serious load of users simultaniously. - All users connect to the same queue. - The app server is SUN 9.1 and the JMS server is MQ.

I have my own custom implemented pooling mechanisn. In this case Connection is a singleton object & the Sessions are pooled. So there is only 1 Connection & for each message a seperate Session is spawned.

Currently we don't pool Connections because the app server WAS 4.0 doesn't support connection pooling. But as we'r migrating to SUN AS 9.1 which supports connection pooling, I was wondering if we can take advantage of the connection pooling in addition to the existing custom session pooling mechanism.

For instance if I have a concurrent load of 500 users trying to send 1 message each (of some arbitrary size say 500 bytes) then what should I do (if I made use of QueueConnection/QueueSession)?

A. Which below is optimal.

1. Create 1 connection with 500 sessions?
2. Create 10 connections of 50 sessions each?
3. Create 50 connections of 10 sessions each?
4. Create 500 connections?

B. Is session more light weight than a connection?

C. Does SUN AS 9.1 support session pooling?

Thanks.
[Message sent by forum member 'phanij' (phanij)]