users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Parallel execution task - Design question

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:16:42 PST

> Indeed, the JMS seems to be the easiest solution but
> need to customize JMS resources, create jms providers
> and consumers components and monitor/manage queues.

I agree. There's a fair amount of configuration needed and a messaging API is harder to use than procedure calls. However, it's integrated into the platform, so at least the behavior is well-defined and portable. You could also just use single-action EJB timers with small timeouts to create asynchronous tasks but that's not what they're designed for.

> Is it possible to create pool of EJBs that are
> looking for data in shared memory ?

There's no spec-defined support for that. The main way to share data between multiple enterprise bean instances or between multiple enterprise bean components is a database. We'll be adding a Singleton component within EJB 3.1.
[Message sent by forum member 'ksak' (ksak)]