users@glassfish.java.net

Cluster on Different Machines

From: Asleson, Ryan <asleson_at_BIWORLDWIDE.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:13:28 -0600

Hello,

My company currently uses Weblogic 8.1 and we're considering moving to
Glassfish. I'm charged with investigating Glassfish and its
capabilities.

Our current Weblogic production environment is clustered so that
instances of Weblogic *running on different physical servers* are
grouped together as clusters with memory replication enabled. I'm
attempting to do the same for Glassfish.

I have an instance of Glassfish on my local computer. I have it running
and have been working in the admin console as well as using the CLI.

I used the online admin console to make the domain cluster available. I
was then able to create a cluster and add instances to the cluster.
However, all of the instances in the cluster reside on my local machine,
in fact they all live under
${glassfish.home}/nodeagents/${computer.name}/.

I want to add server instances that are running *on a different physical
machine* (namely, another developer's computer) to the cluster. I can't
figure out how to do this from the online admin console, as it seems to
only allow instances that are on the same physical computer.

Can somebody tell me how to set up a cluster in which the instances in
the cluster reside on a different computer? I'm sure it can be done,
I'm just not sure how (and if it can't be done, then Glassfish is
unusable for us).

Thank you, and keep up the great work!!!

-Ryan

This e-mail message is being sent solely for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by phone or reply by e-mail, delete the original message and destroy all copies. Thank you.