users@glassfish.java.net

Re: New GlassFish FAQs

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:14:54 PST

Firstly - thanks.

>Are they helpful?
Yes, very helpful.

>Do you use them?
Yes.

>What would make them better?

Standalone client:
1) Include appserv-rt.jar and javaee.jar in the java client's classpath.
In my example was missing com.sun.logging.LogDomains.
Additional jars are needed "appserv-admin.jar, appserv-deployment-client.jar, appserv-ext.jar". See also http://blogs.sun.com/mociepka/

2) JNDI
Default installation of JNDI is listening on "server-name" interface only (see sun-acc.xml in config directory) and is very important what address is for computer name in hosts file. For example on my notebook "centrix" (with DHCP) was in hosts record "127.0.1.1 centrix" - I dont know why.
Everything worked fine with one exception - JNDI was listening on interface with "centrix" address only i.m. on "127.0.1.1". No problem for local application but problem for JNDI lookup from remote computers - exception org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE.
Will be fine to have some note in FAQ to check hostname configuration if something with JNDI is wrong. Ping "hostname" must return real server address and not 127.0.0.1 or something similar.

Leos
[Message sent by forum member 'leosurban' (leosurban)]