users@glassfish.java.net

Re: URL Changing Despite No Redirect Tag in JSF Navigation Rules

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:59:34 PST

Ryan,

As far as I understand it, the only ways that a URL can change is if the action in the form is different than the current page, or a redirect is sent. In both cases, the client browser is requesting a different URL. Since neither of these are the case, I am confused as to how the URL change will occur with a forward.

I took the following excerpt from Oracle's documentation on navigation cases (http://www.oracle.com/webapps/online-help/jdeveloper/10.1.3?topic=sf_apf_navcases_html). If I understand correctly, it seems to support what I am saying:

[i]"Defining a navigation case as redirect causes JSF to send a redirect response that asks the browser to request the required new view. The alternative, where the navigation case is not defined as redirect, the required view is simply rendered as the response to the current request."

"A navigation case defined as redirect means that for the user, the URL shown in the browser address field is adjusted to show the URL for the new view. [b]Using direct rendering, the address field is not updated for the user[/b]. Direct rendering can be faster than redirection."[/i]

Am I misunderstanding what Oracle is saying here? This seems to state that a URL change will only occur if the client requests a new URL and that a forward will not do this.

Thanks,
Kurzweil4
[Message sent by forum member 'kurzweil4' (kurzweil4)]