users@glassfish.java.net

V3 Features

From: Raju Uppalapati <ruppalapati_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:04:29 -0800

Not sure if its too late for V3 schedule but I think the following features
in V3 will help improve developer adoption:
1. Install should be be one step process. No ant -f setup.xml etc. It should
preferably be just an unzip without requiring a cumbersome install like java
-jar etc.
2. Should be able to copy an installed directory to another location and the
product and all its deployed applications should still work.
    This feature is needed for shipping preconfigured Glassfish bundles for
applications that bundle glassfish. Basically I should be able to install
under c:\glassfish and move it to d:\apps\glassfish and still be able to
stop/start the server and all its deployed apps.
3. The download bits (installer/zip/Jar) should be OS independent. This is a
major irritant.

I have been talking to the community manager of a popular open source
product and these were the reasons he gave for their developers not willing
to choose GF in their development environment.

I feel they are valid RFEs and if considered seriously will help GFV3 gain
some traction with people who otherwise go with tomcat or JBoss.
BTW how does one create an RFE for GFV3? Could not find the appropriate link
on the GF webpage.

thanks,
_raju