users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JDK1.5 or 1.6

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:01:19 -0500

Hi Kedar --

There is a compilerTargetVM option in default-web.xml that you could set
for that. I'm actually not sure how that works; perhaps Hong or Tim can
provide more details. The other class files that glassfish generates are
the CMP 2.x artifacts, and as far as I know that will respect the
javac-options (so you could put -target there).

But one caveat about that: in JDK 6, compilation is done in-process (and
the class files are generally not saved) for JSPs. That makes the
development process much faster. And it's not a problem to move to JDK 5
in that case, since the class files aren't saved (unless you set an
option in the default-web.xml or applications DDs to save them).

The bigger problem, I think, is making sure that the IDE (netbeans in
the OP's case) is using a JDK that is at least as old as the JDK used by
glassfish (or that the IDE uses the -target option to javac).

-Scott