users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Bug in TopLink

From: Tom Ware <tom.ware_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:24:57 -0500

Hi Markus,

  My understanding is that putting @Id on a relationship field is not
supported by version 1.0 of the JPA specification. If you look at
section 2.1.4 of the specification it is quite specific about only
allowing primary keys to be composed of primitive types:

"The primary key (or field or property of a composite primary key)
should be one of the following types:
any Java primitive type; any primitive wrapper type; java.lang.String;
java.util.Date;
java.sql.Date. In general, however, approximate numeric types (e.g.,
floating point types) should
never be used in primary keys. Entities whose primary keys use types
other than these will not be portable.
If generated primary keys are used, only integral types will be
portable. If java.util.Date is
used as a primary key field or property, the temporal type should be
specified as DATE."

  I have heard some rumors that this is under discussion for the next
version of the specification, but to be honest I am not sure. I suggest
sending a request to the expert group. I am not sure what the exact
email address is, but perhaps someone on this forum will be nice enough
to post it.

-Tom