users@glassfish.java.net

Web Service request using SOAP in a HTTP Post - Start and End numbers

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:53:02 PST

I am new to web services, so apologize if any of the terms I use aren't quite right. I've been looking for information about sending SOAP requests in a HTTP Post and have run tutorial applications, but find the format of the request packets on the wire to be strange.<br/>
I have run tests using Java EE 5 Update 3 (Sun App Server 9.1) and also Axis2 on a Tomcat environment, both producing the same results.<br/>
This is a request recorded using a wire sniffer against some Axis2 tutorial code. The XML has been formatted here to make it easier to read but was transmitted without white space.<br/>
Host: machine2:9080<br/>
Transfer-Encoding: chunked<br/>
[b]d3[/b]<br/>
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><br/>
<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<soapenv:Body><br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<getWeather xmlns="http://service.pojo.sample" /><br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;</soapenv:Body><br/>
</soapenv:Envelope><br/>
[b]0[/b]</font><br/>
When the RPC client (written in Java) makes the request, the POST value is prefixed and suffixed by hexademical values. A little research has suggested this are relating to how the request will be chunked for transmission. Removing or lowering the numbers causes failures, but setting it much higher gives no failure.<br/>
Can someone please:<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.) Tell me what the proper term for these hexadecimal values is?<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;2.) Are the ones that appear in responses related to the ones in POST requests?<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;3.) Any links to recommended articles on the subject would be appreciated, although once I know the technical name of them, hopefully I could find these myself.<br/>
My objective is to write a testing tool, so I need to know how to generate these values so that when inputting variable content, I can set these values appropriately.<br/>
All help and advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.<br/>
James Appleby
[Message sent by forum member 'james_appleby' (james_appleby)]