users@glassfish.java.net

Re: please recommend a small-scale replicated database.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:47:30 PST

> Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping
> to find built in
> to one of the many java dbs or JDBC proxies out there
> :-)

For a little while we were toying with the idea of using Shoal inside Derby for building a shared cache Derby cluster. Have not gotten around to do that yet.
Anyone in the community willing to jump in to contribute? This will help many users take advantage of such facilities.

> I don't run the glassfish instances in cluster
> though.

Any reason why not? Its pretty straightforward with GlassFish.

If there is a specific reason for not having the instances as part of a cluster, then you could still use Shoal as long as your app makes the api calls to join and participate in a named group.

Please see this blog entry for an introduction and example on how to use Shoal with your app. It does not contain the use of the shared cache. I can send you the details on that a little later.

http://blogs.sun.com/shreedhar/entry/shoal_clustering_101