users@glassfish.java.net

ejb3 modules: configuration best-practises?

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:57:44 +0100

Folks;

as we are attempting to rebuild and restructure a heterogenous
environment (proprietary backend DMS along with a bunch of
all-spread-around, self-made tomcat/Spring based applications) into one
single, manageable Java EE environment, there's always a bunch of
"fundamental" questions arising... like this one:

Using Spring, one is used put a lot of information, including
configuration like file system paths, remoting URIs,... to an
applicationContext.xml to have it available for the application without
having any of these information hard-wired in code.

So: What is a "good" way of doing so in an EJB3 environment? Custom
configuration attempts (like .properties files in ejb modules
classpaths)? JMX mbeans to have most of these config options available
for one to review and change if necessary? More generally, I guess: Is
there a global way for, say, keeping, setting, accessing application
configuration properties without having to dump them as files inside an
ejb / ear module? In example, in one of our current components (dealing
with pulling mails off an IMAPv4 server), "host name", "login name" and
"password" would be such configuration options to be stored somewhere...

Thanks in advance for your appreciated comments.
Best,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu_at_jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771