users@glassfish.java.net

Re: COMMUNITY HELP: GlassFish V3 admin console improvements

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 03:10:25 PST

take a short look to the page, is this really the end solution?
I am absolutly not familiar with MBean or JMX, but if i understand this right, it would mean:

1. First i must even know all attributes, which can/must be monitored in an web applicaton system
2. I must also know the limits for this attributes
3. Have to do own coding to monitor them

Currently i read every month about new configuration tips somewhere in blogs.
- Set JVM to "-server"
- Increase memory settings
- Set OS file descriptor limit to 65000

This is really annoying, because its not centralized and i never can be shure, that i do all right.
And also i dont know if some settings are also ok for my system and/or traffic amount.

What i like to have is something like an selfanalyzing system.
The app server takes run time information from Hardware, OS, JVM, applications and use especially traffic/requests amount for considerations.
Then it compares this values against its currently settings and informs the adminstrator about with some differnet message levels and optional solution possibilities.

I am not an admin, perhaps its absolutly utopistic:)
But think this would be really good to prevent potential conflicts.
[Message sent by forum member 'hammoud' (hammoud)]