users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:25:18 -0700

So I am a little unclear how different this proposal is from what we
support today with directory deployment.

With directory deployment the IDE and glassfish share the application
directory (IDE compiles in it and GF loads classes from it) so there
is no need for war packaging, transfer to the server type of action at
each iterative deployment cycle.

With netbeans being capable of leveraging directory deployment, we are
pretty much doing what you described below (except we don't use a
virtual file system but just an exploded directory structure that the
IDE and GlassFish have agreed upon).

So the war file redeployment is *very* fast when you use netbeans with
glassfish, I see no reason why other IDEs could not leverage that
directory deployment feature.

Is there something else you would want to see ?