users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:47:56 PST

> Some ideas:
>
> 1) EAR installation packages - There are a lot
> things that has to be done before an ear
> installation (JDBC/JMS pools, resources, adapter
> installation and configuration etc.). It's a quit
> complex task for server administrator. It would be
> helpful if developer could prepare installation
> package which would do all necessary tasks. Some
> tasks are dependent on current state of app. server
> so installation engine for EARs should be scriptable
> through package.

NetBeans kinda sorta does this already, so maybe some code can be lifted from there.

> 2) Deployment descriptor editing in web console.
>

> 3) Web Admin Console plugins - web console should be
> extensible with third party plugins

I would certainly like to see this. It would be nice to be able to integrate application administration aspect with the GF console...this gives a more "embedded" view when the application is distributed as a "whole" rather than as "Glassfish and the app". I think this is particularly important with v3's more component nature, and I think GF may be embedded more (at least components of it) because of it.

> 4) Scheduler - App server should support to define
> tasks/jobs implemented as EJB components. This should
> be administrable through console.

Probably best to wait for EJB 3.1 for this, but it's a good idea to at least be able to monitor scheduled jobs waiting in the container so the admin can hold them or stop them before they run. We can't do much once they're running (without a cooperating job), but it would be nice to be able to monitor them through the container.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]