users@glassfish.java.net

Re: web start

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:30:47 PST

Hi.

I may not have all the details correct, but I'll start and others who know more about this can chime in.

First, I think the error message is exactly correct. Place a copy of the 2.1 web services-related JARs into the <jre>/lib/ext directory.

Here's why. Using Java SE 5, the web services-related classes were not part of the Java runtime environment. As long as the GlassFish-provided copies of these JARs were in the classpath then all was well. Java could find the requested versions of the classes from those JARs. These classes are in the GlassFish-provided webservices-rt.jar.

Starting in Java SE 6 the Java runtime itself includes the web-services related classes - but the 2.0 version. Because of the normal class-loading delegation model, the classes in the JRE are used before the ones in the GlassFish-provided webservices-rt.jar that is in the class path. That's why the error message makes the suggestion about the endorsed directory mechanism.

I assume you did not already try that. In theory, if you place the webservices-rt.jar into the lib/ext directory for the JRE your client is using that should work around the problem.

Are you running a Java client or launching a Java EE app client using the GlassFish built-in support for Java Web Start?

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]