users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:30:54 PST

> yes we have identified this requirement, it's called
> suspend where the
> requests would be queued at low level and wait for
> the "redeployment"
> to be finished. in theory, we would not even have to
> say anything to
> the user (assuming there are not too many outstanding
> requests), it
> would just take a bit longer to be serviced.
>
> would that help ?

I think that would be useful for simple redeploys, but there are times when we do things like DB maintenance while the app is down, so the down time my be longer than a simple delay in request processing. Personally, any thing that took more than 15 to 30 seconds to come back to the user is "broken" in my view. I always feel like something is wrong when that happens.

Also, during our deploys, we check the "compile JSP" option, so on our system it can easily take several minutes just to get the app deployed with the JSPs compiled, this is outside of any other maintenance involved.

Perhaps adding an ability to have the JSPs compile in the background during deployment would help? That way the site is "up" immediately, while JSPs are being built in the background. Now, our sites aren't hit heavily, so it's rarely a race between the user finding uncompiled JSPs (and stuck waiting for them). But on a busy site, I think pre-compiling them all in one go is a better option.

We use Java 5 still, btw, I understand Java 6 does better with JSPs, but we're not there yet.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]