users@glassfish.java.net

Availability Service inheritance

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:24:22 PDT

Hoping someone can answer this for me - I'm setting up an HA cluster in Glassfish (V2 final) and want to enable session persistence for my webapps. I've been following this excellent blog entry -

http://blogs.sun.com/dadelhardt/entry/clustering_web_applications_with_glassfish1

and can get everything working by including a sun-web.xml for each webapp with the persistence settings (and setting <distributable/> in the web.xml). Question is - what's the point of the 'Availability Service' option within Configuration on the app console? I was expecting the settings there (the equivalents to those in sun-web.xml but for the container itself - I assume) to be inherited by each of the webapps. Those settings aren't though, which means I have to drop a separate sun-web.xml for each app.
I've tried turning on/off various persistence settings in Availability Service and it doesn't seem to make much difference at all! Am I missing something? I'd like to take the easy option of not having to include seperate sun-web.xml's for each app - particularly as these same apps might run in a non-HA environment as well.
[Message sent by forum member 'ocoro02' (ocoro02)]