users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:43:15 -0700

On Oct 30, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Ryan de Laplante wrote:

> A couple ideas off the top of my head:
>
> - Provide a way (if there isn't already one) to deploy exploded
> archives, and to develop right out of that folder. Maybe even a
> pointer to some other folder (/home/ryan/dev/project1/web/) so we
> don't have to rebuild, deploy, and recreate the session when
> tweaking screens etc. I waste a lot of time doing this, and our PHP
> guys think it's funny. I hear about Tomcat users making a change
> to a JSP, pressing save then refresh.
>
> - Make a way for GlassFish to be used in a shared hosting
> environment where every hosting customer has their own admin
> console, virtual servers, or whatever. Let each customer deploy,
> redeploy, undeploy, manage JDBC, etc. I know there are issues with
> shared JVMs... find an innovative solution. Take over the shared
> Tomcat hosting market.

Delegated administration. This is currently listed as a "medium"
priority and we sure would like to get more feedback on this directly
from hosting providers!

> - Add support for different custom roles in the admin GUI. I want
> to be able to give our support staff access to manage JCA connection
> pools, read logs, and a few other basic things but nothing else.

Role-based access control is pretty high in the priority list. More
use cases would be helpful if you can expand on this.

> - Somewhere I read that you can't use wildcards in virutal host
> names? For example: *.mycompany.com is served by webapp1. This
> probably prevents certain apps from being used on GlassFish, like
> JIRA? Not sure, haven't tried.

We'll look into the others. Thanks.