users@glassfish.java.net

symbolic links are inaccessible from docroot

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:28:35 PST

Hi!

Fresh install Glassfish v2 (SJAS9.1) on Sparc Solaris 10, 0807.
(server runs as root)

We have run into a real show stopper for porting from Iplanet 6.1 stuff.

It seems the new server 9.1 will not access symbolic linked directories.

Directories:
drwxrwxrwx 2 iplanet web 512 Oct 29 15:45 spool
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Oct 29 15:57 spool2 -> spool
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Oct 29 15:57 images -> /d00/web/images
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Oct 29 15:57 data -> /d00/web/clientdata

We created a dummy.html and a dummy image.gif in all of the above directories.

www.ourdomain.com/dummy.html (or .gif) - works fine
www.ourdomain.com/spool/dummy.html (or .gif) - works fine
www.ourdomain.com/spool2/dummy.html (or .gif) - does NOT work
www.ourdomain.com/images/dummy.html (or .gif) - does NOT work
www.ourdomain.com/data/dummy.html (or .gif) - does NOT work

Completely different functionality from 6.1 - this definately works in 6.1.

We have centralized image directories and numerous nfs mounted disks with various
client data directories that can not be direct paths under the docroot. This was the only
way to implement access to certain data, such as client reports, recordings, etc.

Does anyone know how to get around this limitation ??

Thanks for the help!
Dan
[Message sent by forum member 'htsguru' (htsguru)]