users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setup new system

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:48:32 PST

> Hi all,
>

> want to set up new system with SJSAS 9.1 without
> Apache.
> As i am no admin i need help to choose correct
> system/configurations.
>
> New ISP provides following systems:
> - OpenSuSE 10.2 (32/64bit)
> - Debian: 4.0 (Etch) (only 32Bit)
> - RedHat ES: 4 v4 (32/64bit)
>

> Have to rent an admin for the server, but he has no
> experience with SJSAS yet, he just said he would
> prefere Debian.

Doesn't he provide more popular OS's like opensolaris and/or Ubuntu?

> I checked the document
> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/javaee5/docs/SJSA
> SEERN.pdf and i am not shure which system i
> should/could use.
>

> 1. Debian is not listet - does SJSAS not work on
> Debian?

Hasn't been tested, AFAIK.

> 2. Does SJSAS need something special from SuSE
> Enterprise which is not possible with OpenSuSE?

I don't think so, but it is better to test it out. There are some issues on 64-bit OS.

> 3. Should i use developer profile for production for
> a simple single server (name "developer" sound more
> for only using on local notbooks and not for
> production server)
Well, the name of the profile is something that I should have been more careful about.
The name of the profile does [b] not [/b] reflect the production-readiness of a profile. It simply
means a name. You can create a developer profile domain and then essentially [i] tweak [/i]
its configuration for your use. Does that change its profile? No. For example, by default you'll
get 512M as the max heap space. But that may not be enough for you. You could change
the configuration to say -Xmx1024m to indicate that you need 1 G heap.

In short, yes, the developer profile is suited for production albeit some configuration might
be required (which is true for any profile domain).

Regards,
Kedar

> thanx,
> Hammoud
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]