users@glassfish.java.net

EJB, timers and lifecycle

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:22:17 PDT

Hello,

I'm using timers in EJBs to periodically trigger a method.

I have a few questions about how the timers work.

1) I need to trigger my method every 10 seconds. I have seen that the timer's poll interval is set to 7 seconds by default, which creates some delays into my method triggering. My question is : if I set it to 500ms, what are the issues about glassfish's performance ?

2) I need my timer to be automatically initialized at deployment or server startup. Is there a way to do this automatically ? (I have a solution with a client servlet that initializes the timer on startup but I'd like to avoid this).

3) I'm not sure... is the timer reset after the method ends, or is it independant ? what is the policy if the method lasts longer than the timer interval ? is it immediately relaunched, or do we have to wait for the next timeout ?

Thanks !
[Message sent by forum member 'olivier_g' (olivier_g)]