users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Restarting Glassfish

From: Piero Filippin <filippinp_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:58:51 +0100

I think there are two separate issues:

1) Restarting GF in the event GF itself crashes - this needs something
external, I think any SO provides a mechanism

2) Trigger a restart in GF when settings are changed - what about GF
creating a process at shutdown time, and having this process to launch
another GF instance when the first one is gone, and then killing
itself (I am not sure this can be done inside the same JVM)

- or even better -

What about avoiding GF having to be restarted when some of the settings
change? Do we really need to restart GF to change the port it is
listening to for example or to change the classpath?
I know that implementing things like that is not trivial, they add
complexity without any real benefit, but I think they should be taken
into account (maybe the next version?)

Piero