users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Virtual Servers & Listeners

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:29:49 PDT

You wrote:

> From the documentation:
> "You must not specify a listener that is used by another virtual server"
> i.e. it must be one listener to one virtual server relationship.

OK, that's a bug. I just checked the 9.1 admin guide and found the same error:

  Because a virtual server must specify an existing HTTP listener, and
  because it cannot specify an HTTP listener that is already being used
  by another virtual server, create at least one HTTP listener before
  creating a new virtual server.

This is wrong, and I will file a bug against docs. Thanks for pointing this out!

The above restriction of having to create a new http listener make sense only if the new virtual server has the same host name as one of the virtual servers already bound to the existing http listener.

For example, let's assume http-listener-1 already has a virtual server with host name "vs1" associated with it. Then, if you wanted to create a new virtual server with the same host name "vs1", any attempt to associate it with http-listener-1 will give you an error:

  pewebcontainer.duplicate_host_name=WEB0315: The host name {0} is
  shared by virtual servers {1} and {2}, which are both associated with
  the same HTTP listener ({3})
  WEB0315.diag.cause.1=Two or more virtual servers associated with the
  same HTTP listener share the same host name
  WEB0315.diag.check.1=Make sure that the sets of host names of all
  virtual servers associated with the same HTTP listener are disjunct

because if a request with a host name of "vs1" were received by http-listener-1, it would be impossible for http-listener-1 to disambiguate the 2 virtual servers.

However, it would be possible for you to create a new virtual server with a host name of "vs1" and bind it to http-listener-2.

> Above you said :
> " Next, an attempt is made to map the request to one of the virtual
> servers associated with the HTTP listener..."
> And to me it shows possibility of maping one listener to many virtual
> servers...

Yes, that's right, and that's what virtual hosting is all about! :-)

Jan
[Message sent by forum member 'jluehe' (jluehe)]