users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Question on design: Servlet or LifecycleListener to implement a service

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:41:01 PDT

Having no direct experience with a JCA module, it does seem to me to be the most appropriate and wide open component for this kind of thing. I think the JCA is designed around these kind of "oddball" connectivity components.

What does the component need to query to get its device list? Do you want it to query your application, or some other kind of configuration information?

In theory if it needs to query a DB, it could probably do that directly through a configured JDBC pool in the container.

As far communicating with the connector, there has to be some mechanism for you to put something in the JNDI tree that is aware of your service, some java mechanism you can contrive to talk to the component.

Another thing you could possible do is use an MBean installed in the server and use that as a mechanism to talk with your service.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]