users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Running GlassFish with Apache httpd

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:46:30 -0400

Hi,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Can someone provide me a link to some good documentation on how to deploy my recently completed web application to the world or can someone help me set things up?
>
> I have run across a Jean-Francois Arcand's Blog about Running GlassFish with Apache httpd:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/03/running_glassfi_1.html
> but am having problems. Can anyone help here?
>
> I think my httpd.conf is set up correctly but could someone look at my workers.properties?

> #workers.properties -
>
> # - An ajp13 worker that connects to localhost:8009
> # - A load balancer worker
>
> #workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat5
> #????????? see my question below.
>
> workers.java_home=/tools/java/jdk1.6.0
>
> ps=/
>

> #------ worker list ------------------------------------------
>
> worker.list=ajp13_worker
>
> #------ ajp13_worker WORKER DEFINITION ------------------------------
>
> worker.ajp13_worker.port=8009
> worker.ajp13_worker.host=localhost
> worker.ajp13_worker.type=ajp13
>

> # Specifies the load balance factor when used with a load balancing worker.
>
> worker.ajp13_worker.lbfactor=50
>

> # Specify the size of the open connection cache.
>
> worker.ajp13_worker.cachesize=10
> worker.ajp13_worker.cache_timeout=600
> worker.ajp13_worker.socket_keepalive=1
> worker.ajp13_worker.socket_timeout=300
>
> ------ DEFAULT LOAD BALANCER WORKER DEFINITION ----------------------
> # The loadbalancer (type lb) workers perform wighted round-robin
> # load balancing with sticky sessions.
>
> worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
> worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13_worker

> So I am confused about tomcat in 2 places here:
>
> 1. In Jean-Francois blog: step 2) Copy, from a fresh Tomcat 5.5.16 installation

You just need to copy the tomcat-ajp.jar to ${glassfish.home}/lib so
when starting GlassFish with the mod_jk enabled property, the mod_jk
connector classes are found (we aren't shipping the mod_jk
classes...maybe in v3).

> 2. The path in the above workers file.
>
> I thought that Glassfish contained Tomcat so why would I need to install it?

No need for Tomcat (hence no need for
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat5). Just the tomcat-ajp.jar,
commons-logging.jar and commons-modeler.jar under ${glassfish.home}/lib.
The you just need to add in domain.xml:

$GLASSFISH_HOME/bin/asadmin create-jvm-options
-Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.enableJK=8009

Start GlassFish then start httpd. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois

and if this is the case where should workers.tomcat_home point to?