users@glassfish.java.net

GFv2_b45: OpenFileDescriptorCount is growing, growing and eventually server crashes...

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:04:43 +0200

Hi there,
I have a major issue with Glassfish v2 beta3 b45. My project is going
into last state, right now our customer is testing it on his own
server and we are encountering problems with
java.io.IOException: Too many open files.

I really do not know what to do about this, I am monitoring server
process using jconsole. When server starts, its
OpenFileDescriptorCount < 270, and then it is growing constantly.
After less than 24 hours the 1024 limit is overrun and server stops
responding, it is filling logs with stacktrace full of IOExceptions
and CPU is 100% on some single thread.

Today, I have registered opened files using lsof 3 times like this:
lsof |grep 25533 > lsof-2007-06-27-.....

Here are the files:
http://josh.neostrada.pl/lsof/lsof-2007-06-27-09h20m.txt
http://josh.neostrada.pl/lsof/lsof-2007-06-27-12h32m.txt
http://josh.neostrada.pl/lsof/lsof-2007-06-27-14h00m.txt

The first file was made at 9:20am, it has 411 lines,
second one (12:32pm) has 645 and
last (2:00pm) one has 888 lines.

What is wrong?

About the enviroment:
Ubuntu 7.04,
Linux sop 2.6.20-15-server #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:41:34 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Glassfish v2 beta3 b45

The application is using EJB3 + JPA, client application (application
client container) is a desktop Swing, downloaded by Java WebStart.

If there is anything more I should provide, please tell me

Thanks,
Witold Szczerba