users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Major Application client frustrations

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:54:31 PDT

Hi everyone

I MUST add dissapointment.

> like many others who have reported similar behaviour,
> we're developing a rich java client distributed over
> webstart. Now, I am starting to get frustrated over
> the large number of issues with the client we are
> facing.

We need to port our application to a platform that offers us the environment to let us implements useful new features. We weighted several platforms and languages, including c#.net, pascal(delphi), java, c/c++, and took the decision to go with java. Portability, decent learning curve, readily available support, etc. We have to develop gui forms. No problem, we were confident that we could handle the swing's lack of data binding. Among several new features, two were outlined as VERY IMPORTANT and in fact defines our project:

-High connectivity
-Easy deployment

A few days ago we decided to run a small connectivity test. Local tests: very well, Intranet tests, okey; Internet tests, IMPOSSIBLE.

> - Size of the client jar files: We need to distribute
> well over 20MB of jars purely related to
> communication with the application server, and they
> contain everything - almost the complete application
> server

Write once, runs everywhere: FALSE, besides that huge amount of jars, configuration, etc that MUST be manually made; java versions might make your application goes wrong. That is a real setback.

> - Time for login: On slower machines (like a 1.4Ghz
> iBook), login takes >20 seconds, with most of the
> time 100% CPU. Profiling shows that the time is spent
> in ORB.init()... WTF is it doing?

Till today, I thought that something in our configuration was wrong, but we've encountered slow performance, and even server (Win2k3 server) hangs. Serious setback.

> - NAT traversal: The application simply connects to
> the server and sends requests to it. There should not
> be any need to connect back or even transmit a server
> name back to the client and connect to that (which is
> the case right now), effectively eliminating the
> possiblity to server NAT.

Now connectivity is not really possible, is it? Or do we have to resource to slow http based webservices?

Here is my problem, with deadlines over us, WRONG development platform selection, and Java/ORB POOR issues resolutions, should'n I be dissapointed?
[Message sent by forum member 'freddyforjava' (freddyforjava)]