users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish Clustering Setup

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:20:57 PDT

> I'm a complete novice to clustering so would like
> some tips in its architecture and how to configure a
> simple setup with Glassfish (preferably using the
> nice admin interface).
>
> From what I've read, the bit that really baffles me
> is why the Sun Java Web Server is required when
> Glassfish can service HTTP requests on its own. Why
> is, what is effectively a third party bit of
> software, required? Why can't you just create, for
> example, three instances of glassfish then link them
> together to as one logical cluster.
>
> Any infomation you could give would really help a
> confused individual!
>
> Dan

Dan,

You need a web-server front-end, when you want to load-balance your http requests.
Frankly, it is not the web-server that the clustered instances need, but the plugin that
sits in a given web-server, namely apache or Sun's Web Server.

As far as cluster management is concerned, this is completely isolated from need
for a load-balancer. If you have a DNS round-robin system going on, you can independently have your clusters without the aforementioned load-balancer plugin.

To get you started, here are some links:

- http://blogs.sun.com/dpatil/entry/glassfish_v2_workspace_with_clustering
- http://blogs.sun.com/bloggerkedar/entry/a_recipe_to_create_clusters
- a screen-cast for the novice -- http://weblogs.java.net/blog/km/archive/2007/06/glassfish_v2_on.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]