users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish Catch Phrase

From: Jamey Wood <Jamey.Wood_at_sun.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:23:53 -0600

John Clingan wrote:
> I concur.
>
> On a separate note, I like Martin's "A Fountain of Innovation".

Yeah. It could be a nice way to weave in our "water" theme. My one
complaint is that its proposed wording doesn't say anything about what
GlassFish actually is. I agree with Eduardo's point that "Java EE"
might be too limiting (and have negative connotations to some). But not
at least saying "App Server" (or similar) might have the opposite
problem--too hazy.

If we look at the other projects' catch phrases for the "Get it Now"
style button that we're tagetting:

  Java: Run Desktop Apps Faster with Java
  NetBeans: Simple, Intuitive IDE
  Solaris: The Most Advanced OS on the Planet

...the latter two both squeeze in a statement about what they are (an
IDE and an OS, respectively). The Java one may not--but, being one of
the most well-known technical brands in the world, it's probably most
equipped to get away with that.

With GlassFish, I think we're at a stage where including a statement
about exactly what we are is still very important. (And yes, I realize
that Project GlassFish covers more than the appserver, but I think it's
best to deal with that somewhere other than the very limited pixel space
of a button.)

--Jamey