users@glassfish.java.net

EclipseLink: Oracle Open Sources TopLink. Any consequences for GlassFish?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 02:41:36 PST

According to Shaun Smith's blog Oracle is going to open-source its Toplink (which is commercial and close-source now):
http://ontoplink.blogspot.com/2007/03/oracle-open-sources-toplink.html

Also I have read their FAQ:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/eclipse/pdf/eclipselink-faq.pdf
It says:
--------------------
Oracle is proposing the creation of the Eclipse Persistence Platform (EclipseLink)
project in Eclipse that will deliver a comprehensive persistence platform. Oracle
will lead this open source project and will contribute the source and test cases of
its successful Oracle TopLink product to provide a starting point for the project.
--------------------

Oracle Toplink (commercial version, not Toplink Essentials) has some interesting "enterprise" features like cluster-aware caching:
--------------------
EclipseLink-ORM will provide an extensible Object-Relational Mapping
(ORM) framework with support for the Java Persistence API (JPA). It will
provide persistence access through JPA as well as having extended persistence
capabilities configured through custom annotations and XML. These extended
persistence features include powerful caching (including clustered support),
usage of advanced database specific capabilities, and many performance
tuning and management options.

So, what we will have after that:
- EclipseLink will support JPA
- it will have "enterprise"/"cluster" features
- it will be open source

Will we be able to use EclipseLink instead of Toplink Essentials? Are there any plans in GlassFish community about using EclipseLink as a base persistence implementation since it has superior features like cluster-aware caching?
One day I have asked about the caching and how it works in cluster, but unfortunately I have not get answer:
http://forums.java.net/jive/message.jspa?messageID=182320#182320
[Message sent by forum member 'vicnov' (vicnov)]