users@glassfish.java.net

any comparision of deployment option

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:14:21 -0800

Hi,

I am working on some optimizations for the NB user experience for
developing enterprise components and apps. I think they will depend the
deploydir functionality and the use of the dot-reload file... But I have
to wonder: Is using the dot-reload file to trigger an autodeploy really
faster when you redeploy a large app.

Is there any comparison out there between using 'deploydir with
dot-reload' vs. repeated deploydir operations?

I can think of one disadvantage of using the dot-reload
functionality... The user doesn't get any feedback on when the
'redeploy' is DONE. This delay may be significant for enterprise scale
applications...

Folks may wonder what I mean by 'enterprise scale'. I think the Liferay
portal is an enterprise scale application (in either of its two forms),
about 62 MB (ear) or 52.7 MB (war). It may be a bit extreme, though.

Thanks,
vbk