users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Dynamic reloading

From: ludovic champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:59:08 -0800

On Feb 28, 2007, at 7:26 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Thanks. Those are the instructions I used. It just does not make
> sense that I have to "touch" a .reload file after I make changes.
> Besides, I doubt it will still work.
> I develop my application in a webapps top folder. When I deploy it
> in Eclipse to the glassfish server, the app is deployed to domains
> \domain1\j2ee-modules folder.
> So hereafter if I make a changes to a jsp file in my dev folder, it
> is not auto copied again to glassfish deployment. This is not how
> typically Tomcat or Websphere works.

Si it seems you are using Eclipse and WTP and the GlassFish pluguin
right?
Contrary to NetBeans, WTP does not provide an easy way to implement a
copy on save for jsp files. We might consider adding this feature later.
Last time I checked, I did not see any server supported out of the
box by WTP capable of doing that. I think external plugins (not in
WTP) may be able to do that)

The reload touch action is anyway necessary: imagine if you are doing
a clean build and recompiling the java classes...When would be a good
time to initiate a redeployment or a class reload if say one half of
your java files are compiled? It has to be a user action to tell the
server to reload the app.
> The other option it seems was to direct deploy. however that did
> not work either for me.
>
> C:\glassfish\bin> asadmin deploydir /Projects/workspace_jsf/castjsfri
The castjsfri directory does not contain a exploded web application
(war) in the correct form to be dir deployed... For example, the
web.xml is not in the desired location (it is in WebContent folder
and not WEB-INF.
So this cannot be used for dirdeploy. The structure of a web app is
dictated by the Eclipse dynamic web project structure...
Ludo