users@glassfish.java.net

Default web module causes context problems. Any solution?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:55:25 PST

Heyho!

We have a web application set to the /myapp context in Sun Application Server 9. In the admin gui, I defaulted our virtual server to that web application. I.e. "Configuration" -> "Http Service" -> "Virtual Servers" -> "server" -> "Default web module: myapp".

My web app uses the SAS connection pools (work very well). I access the pool using the usual context connection code, i.e.:
[code]
initContext = new InitialContext();
source = (DataSource) initContext.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/mydb");
conn = source.getConnection();
[/code]

With the default web module set to the web application, I can access the web application at http://www.culpamea.com/ and at http://www.culpamea.com/myapp/.

When I redeploy the web application (I use Netbeans 5.5), the redeploy works perfectly. When I load the application at it's usual URL (http://www.culpamea.com/myapp/) pages that use the database work correctly.

BUT, after redeploy (but without restarting the domain), pages that I attempt to access at http://www.culpamea.com/ (without the context) do not load! The log error that appears is
[code]
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: No object bound for java:comp/env/jdbc/oraclesccweb [Root exception is java.lang.NullPointerException]
[/code]

So, using the default web module and accessing my web app at the / context causes a problem with looking up JDNI resource names.

Is there a way to correct that? We would like to allow our users to access the application at the root context /.

dailysun
[Message sent by forum member 'dailysun' (dailysun)]