users@glassfish.java.net

Monitoring / Profiling suggestions

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:34:09 PST

In my search for tools to monitor Jboss and Tomcat, I ran across LambdaProbe and was very impressed with it. I understand Glassfish v2 is nearing beta so maybe this could be reviewed for v3 and the monitoring capabilities and interface.

http://www.lambdaprobe.org/d/overview.shtml
Demo: http://demo.lambdaprobe.org/ (demo / demo)

If you get a chance, check out the demo. I know glassfish v2 currently monitors a lot of similar information but I wanted to put emphasis on the presentation of Lambdaprobe. I understand that it may not be efficient to store things like history when presenting this functionality in an appserver; but to have the real time data in a very conceptual and interactive interface would be fantastic.

Some additionally functionality that would be nice to enable when needed would be the ability to have a detailed memory profiler that could tell you how much memory classes/methods are consuming. Along with CPU as I see that as some of the basics.

I know glassfish supports pluggable profilers, but for usability this is a steep curve for some to setup the bootclasspath and other wrappers that are needed to profile and is also very time consuming.

I understand that this could clutter things quite a bit, maybe a better option is to have a performance / profiling interface similar to how IBM does it and have a separate tool that is part of the glassfish project that can connect to that service.

Websphere includes Tivoli Performance Manager in 5.x and they have a built in AJAXish thing in 6.x I'm not sure what BEA uses if anything.

Anyway I just wanted to give some input and maybe see how other people feel about this issue. Maybe there is an easier approach I'm simply not familiar with or maybe there's really not a strong need for this and its just my misconception too :)

Andrew
[Message sent by forum member 'areplogle' (areplogle)]