users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JCA adapter and load balancing

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:49:11 -0800

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> As mentioned by others in the thread, there exists no out-of-the-box mechanism to make an RA instance in a cluster as the active one. This could be achieved either using Shoal or the RA could use custom group management frameworks [like JGroups/JXTA] to co-ordinate the active and failover candidate RA instances in a cluster.

That said, I should add that the benefit with using Shoal is that
a. its already available in the appserver
b. one is not bound to a specific group communication implementation
such as Jgroups or Jxta, as it provides an API that clients can talk to.
Currently our service provider is JXTA based, and if a JGroups based
service is needed, a service provider implementation will be all that
will need to be added.