users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JCA adapter and load balancing

From: Sivakumar Thyagarajan <Sivakumar.Thyagarajan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:40:58 +0530

Hi Shreedhar

Thanks for the response.

Shreedhar Ganapathy wrote:

> Binod wrote:
>> In general, this is a question about how a resource adapter or
>> a JBI component leverage appserver's clustering capabilities.
>>
>> For this discussion, you can think of the resource adapter as yet
>> another container like EJB container or Web container.
> In such a case, the RA or JCA or possibly an object representing a
> collection of Adapters (lets call it a RAFacade) is simply a client
> component for GMS within a clustered instance. And gets notified when
> it can participate in the group of instances.And once in the group, the
> RAFacade can take actions to manage its state and RAs in different
> instances can talk to each other in a cluster if need be. That said,
> solution for clustered instance access to a backend EIS could be in
> found through more than one approach.
Do we have any samples/documentation showing how components deployed in
GlassFish [EJB/Connectors] could use GMS to co-ordinate activities within
themselves in a cluster?

>> The question really is that, are our clustering infrastructure like
>> GMS and in-memory replication reusable?
> GMS is certainly designed for reusability assuming that within a VM,
> multiple components can use it for their own purposes in a
> group/collection context. I am not sure I understand how in-memory
> replication comes into the picture here.
I think they were wanting some form of in-memory replication to keep track of RA
state that could be shared across RA instances in a cluster.

Thanks
--Siva