users@glassfish.java.net

Using wsse:Usernametoken for role-based authorization

From: jon_c <jon.card_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:56:55 -0800 (PST)

Glassfish/Java EE newbie question.. Apologies in advance.

I'm trying to figure if there is a straightforward way to use message-layer
credentials (i.e. wsse:UsernameToken from SOAP header) to perform
authorization in my Web-Service (role-based permissions on my service Web
Methods). In this case, the web service, which is deployed in the
EJB-container, might look something like this:

@WebService
public class Service{

  @WebMethod
  @RolesAllowed("abc")
  public String helloWorld(){
    return "Hello World"
  }
}

Authenticating against the users in a realm seems pretty straight-froward
with XWS, but I'm having difficulty getting the authorization part to work.
Am I barking up the wrong tree? I can get it to work just fine using HTTP
authentication, but would rather use the SOAP message so that I can have
well integrated message-layer and application-layer security. Is it
possible? practical?

Thank you,
Jon